Thursday, December 11, 2008

but you ain't got no legs Lieutenant Dan


So I go into a patient's room at the beginning of my shift to do my nightly assessment. I do the same thing, listen to heart, listen to lungs, check pulses, look at feet. Well I'm doing all these things, as usual, and I like to explain what I'm doing so they aren't weirded out. So I say, "I'm going to look at your feet now." I pull back the sheet, and they don't have any legs. Dude the freaking nurse before me said NOTHING in her report to me. That's kind of important to pass along, even though that may not be why they are there. The patient didn't say anything, I know my face was red, I just went along like I knew what I was doing. What do we learn from this??? You never know what you'll find under the sheets.....

7 comments:

Our Family said...

Funny.... I had an experience kind of the same. I was listening for lung sounds right side is OK, left side, I listen, move the stethascope, listen some more, ask the pt to take some deep breaths, move stethascope, listen some more..... after a couple minutes the pt starts laughing and says, "lady you ain't gonna hear nothin on that side even if you keep lisenin, I only got one lung". Well, aain, that would have been nice to know... I looked back at the previous nurses charting, breath sound equal bilaterally?? Guess we know she didn't listen for breath sounds

Auburn said...

K - I'm addicted to your blog already. It cracks me up.

Robin said...

I think it was a BLESSING not to see feet. I have never seen feet I liked. Has anyone? Point proven.
--Robin C

Bobbi Jo Nichols said...

Oh my goodness! That was an embarrassing moment. I love your posts my SIL is a nurse and has some great ones too.

Hugs, Bobbi Jo

Lorie said...

Maybe the patient didn't know he didn't have any feet?

Xan said...

Kind of like your brother's wedding where everyone was introducing themselves. We couldn't hear one lady so my mom yells, "Stand up!" The lady yells back, "I can't!" Of course she was paralyzed. Oh good, another inappropriate comment to leg problems.

Erin said...

Ice cream, ice cream lieutenant Dan!!!