So I am a nurse. I work at a hospital a couple of nights a week. I also work with the kiddos. At the end of my work week I often come home with so many things I have learned and feel I need to share. So starting next week, I will start posting of the pearls I have acquired each week. Maybe you will learn something or maybe you won't. Just as a preview of my wisdom:
As a student I was often given the crappiest tasks to do many, many, MANY times. One task in perticular, will be burned in my mind for all my life. I feel it should be burned in all of yours, as well. So this man needed his foley catheter out. For those of you who haven't been so lucky to enjoy these things, it's when they put a little tube up you to drain your pee. The nurse asked me if I could take it out....what am I suppossed to say, NO? I get all my supplies and go into his room where he is standing at the foot of his bed. Now this man was a large man, a very, very large man. I asked him to lay down, so I could take it out. He replied, "I prefer to stand." O.K. so I lift up his gown trying to find where it ends. Finally I get it out and put it in the wastebasket. He asks, "Are you going to take that out?" I said yes, I just wanted to wrap it in a trash bag before taking it to the biohazard trash can. His reply? "Oh good, cause I am being treated for staph...I'm just FULL of staph." I smiled and literally went out to the sink and scrubbed my hands and arms for a good 5 minutes. The moral of the story and the wisdom I pass to you? Don't tell people you are FULL of staph....you won't have many friends.

10 comments:
you're gross.
Well, I learned to ask people is they're full of staph before touching them from your story. People at church may look at me weird when I ask them, "Are you full of staph?" before shaking their hands...but until Obama gets me some of that free healthcare, I figure you can't be too careful.
you are the greatest and i'll have to remember not to tell people about my staph problem, if i want more than 1 friend( since joe is kinda stuck with me). I'm excited to hear about next weeks moral of the week.
Oh Annie, how I've missed you so! Thanks for all the laughs girl! I told you about my large man needing help to pee! Man, I wish he would have had a foley so then I would have known where his you know what actually was!
Well that was a good word of wisdom you shared. I am looking forward to your posts.
Hugs, Bobbi Jo
I love you Annie!
Oh Annie, you're blog is pure joy in my life!!
ewww...gross. I was talking with a LD nurse this last sunday, and she was telling me about this HUGE HAIRY woman that came to deliver at her hospital. She ended up needing a C-section, and they had to SHAVE her tummy! GROSS
um...ew!
Oh, we could swap some great stories! I was on my way out, and my student needed help moving a patient from the exam table to the transport bed. Seriously, a 30 second task. She didn't take the time to change the colostomy bag first, which was bursting! That thing hit the table and seriously exploded and sprayed everywhere. I think that is the grossest I have ever felt in my life. Still makes me laugh though.
Post a Comment